Source: Childsplay | 900 South Mitchell Drive | Tempe | AZ | 85281
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 10:30am and 1:30pm
Bring the kids to find out how the Saguaro plays an important role to life in the desert. Take home your own puppet.
Child 18 and under
Serve a cheesy Times Square ball. Hungry partygoers will cheer our silvery “midnight” snack, inspired by the famed New York City original.
What you’ll need
- head of cabbage
- aluminum foil
- 1-inch cheese cubes
- mini foil baking cups
- frilly toothpicks
How to make it
- Use an unopened 8-ounce can and a head of cabbage, covered and joined with aluminum foil, for the base.
- Set 1-inch cheese cubes into mini foil baking cups, then skewer them on frilly toothpicks, inserting the pointy ends into the cabbage.
- Hold the ball up high, have the kids count down as you lower it to the table, and let snacktime begin.
So simple – no directions needed – just use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe.
Kids of all ages will be delighted with the seasonal twist on this hearty beef stew, which also features mushrooms and parsnips. Rich mashed potato “ghosts” are piped onto each bowlful. The cook will love the convenient slow cooker preparation. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Prep: 30 min.
Cook: 8 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes (2-1/3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Return potatoes to pan; add the sour cream, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mash until smooth.
- Set aside 12 peas for garnish. Add remaining peas to the slow cooker. Increase heat to high.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, water and remaining salt until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide stew among six bowls.
- Place mashed potatoes in large resealable plastic bag; cut a 2-in. hole in one corner.
- Pipe ghost potatoes onto stew; garnish with reserved peas.
- Yield: 6 servings.
© Taste of Home 2012
See larger photo
Poised for note taking, these posable writing buddies easily slip on and off a pencil top.
- Embroidery floss
- Craft wire
- Wooden bead
- Foam pencil grip
- Permanent markers
- Loosely wrap embroidery floss around your palm about a dozen times to create a coil of hair. Twist a 7 1/2-inch length of plastic-coated 22-gauge craft wire around the center of the hank.
- Thread a 6- to 8-mm round wooden bead head onto the wire ends flush to the hair. For a body, use a foam pencil grip. Poke armholes in the foam with a pushpin or the end of a paper clip.
- Thread the wire ends down into the pencil grip and out through the armholes.
- String two 4-mm cylindrical wooden beads (about 1/2 inch long each) onto each arm wire and shape the wire tips into loops for hands.
- Trim and style the hair as you like. Then draw on a face with fine-point permanent markers, and your completed character is ready to top a pencil.
- You might also like:
A Detailed House
Having a baby is hard enough; add tackling a nursery to mix and it can become overwhelming! There is so much pressure put on this one room – and the mother. When I was pregnant with my first child, I scoured magazines and the Internet for inspiration, but found it difficult to find rooms that I liked and a time consuming endeavor.
I’m hoping that these pictures will save mothers the aggravation and provide some inspiration for them.
White and luxurious with the mirrored furniture. The monogram can be made on your computer and framed!
Great treatment for the window arrangement! The colors are feminine and a combination that is increasing in frequency, yet different and not the stereotypical shades, and the chair is unique.
View original post 295 more words